I spent a few hours this last weekend in boiling down my filtered mix to make hash oil. Due to the volatility of the alcohol fumes I did this out of doors on a day that was not windy. Last thing you want is some unknown particles in your mix. To perform the initial boil off of the alcohol I used the pressure cooker method with a jar in cold water to recapture the evaporated alcohol. By converting the alcohol back into a liquid form you not only can reuse it, but you increase the safety factor by not having the fumes exposed to the elements. I still would never perform this operation near open flame or even take the chance with an electric stove.

Pressure Cooker

So in the above image I have my modified pressure cooker in an electric skillet filled with water. What you don’t see is that I have the cooker on strips of wood to keep it off the bottom of the skillet. I added a temperature gauge to help me in controlling the interior heat.

Pressure Cooker with Capture

Here we can see the hose leading from the pressure cooker into the jar that is in a bucket filled with ice water. The jar is under the water bottle which is acting as a weight to hold the jar in the water. The pressure cooker was found at an estate sale and the fittings and hose came from an ice maker kit.

Recovered Amount

As you can see I still lost quite of bit of alcohol to evaporation. This loss I think came from the little rubber stopper on the pressure cooker lid and I found that the hose was hot to the touch going into the jar in the bucket. I am thinking of replacing the rubber stopper with a pressure gauge.  Also I am going submerge/cool the hose prior to the jar in the bucket.

Once the alcohol boiled down, leaving about a couple tablespoons in the bottom of the pressure cooker. I transfered the remaining mixture to my pie dish. Using the same method as in the previous post I boiled off this remaining amount.

Pie Dish in Skillet

Once all the alcohol was boiled off there remained a brown film.

The Hash Oil

Using a razor blade I cleaned the pan the best I could and placed the sticky tar like substance in a shot glass. I found that the cooler the plate got the more difficult it was to remove the oil.

Hash Oil

Though this image does not give all that good of an idea of quantity, I figure it to be about a teaspoon, which I think is not all that bad for a quart jar of mix. Also this is from the shake and not bud.

Overall it was somewhat time consuming from start to finish, but was a good learning experience and I found some places that could use improvement. I would have not tried this without massive research and using the right equipment. I do feel that this method is the safest and easiest methods to make hash oil.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s